If you drive a car, chances are you will eventually need towing services at some point. That’s why it is a good idea to know which towing company you would call near your home and work if you ever needed one. You can, of course, do a search for “towing near me” on your phone or computer and find lots of choices. It may be a better idea, though, to start with trusted friends and family members who have personal experience with local towing companies. Searching for “towing near me” will give you an idea of whether or not recommended companies are close to your usual routes. Closer companies can usually provide faster roadside assistance. Another great source for towing recommendations would be your auto insurance agent.
If you are going on a long trip, you probably won’t be able to know ahead of time when or where you might need towing. If you use a large auto insurance agency, they may still be able to help you find a reliable option for “towing near me,” wherever that may be. If you decide to embark on a search yourself, here are some things to consider:
- How far is the towing company willing to tow you?
- What are your options for paying? Will they expect immediate payment, or can you have your insurance or other roadside assistance option pay later?
- When you assess their website or online reviews, do they have any industry affiliations or Better Business Bureau scores?
- Be careful of companies that advertise very low prices but include hidden fees.
- Never allow a tow truck driver who “happens by” to tow your car.